For many of the 590 million people without access to electricity in sub-Saharan Africa, an open flame is the only choice to escape the darkness. Candles and kerosene lamps are expensive, toxic, and dangerous.
The dangers posed by an open flame range from small burns to house fires, and worst case, death. This is the choice many have to make for a small amount of light.
In healthcare, the reality is just as stark. Three out of every four health facilities in sub-Saharan Africa have no access to reliable power. At many clinics, patients are asked to bring their own candle for procedures.
With a solar light, families no longer have to risk their own lives just to enjoy their evening and healthcare professionals can keep patients safe during emergency procedures.
A solar light saves lives.