The impact we can create with access to solar lights through a business based model is truly remarkable. SolarAid has been recognised as impacting on 12 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Measuring impact is essential. Rather than assuming a solar light has a positive impact on a family’s life, we would rather prove it.
This is so we can continuously improve our work and ensure every SolarAid supporter can see their very own impact when they donate through our online Impact Calculator.
To date, we have amassed over 30,000 direct research interactions with customers and partnered with expert research bodies such as 60 Decibels, University of Edinburgh, University of California, Berkeley and Stanford University to name a few.
In its simplest form, we know the impact of one solar light to a family’s life is as follows*:
- Every member of the household uses it.
- 10% of household income saved as families no longer have to buy candles, kerosene or batteries.
- Over 1,000 hours of extra study for the children.
- 1.1 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions are averted from the atmosphere.
- Over half the household report better health from not breathing in toxic fumes.
This is over the conservatively estimated 3 year life span of a solar product.